Monday, October 25, 2010

Tell Us the Truth



Tell us the truth/ Don't let us down/ You're a fool if you do---
Rock n' roll does emotional truth really well. When it's positive and upbeat, and a truth everyone wants to believe, it's pop, top 40 material easily. Calm down! That doesn't mean bad...



Cheap Trick's "I Want You to Want Me" expresses a subtle ache before a date...with power chords! But when you start talking about the real truth, that no one wants to hear, you are talking punk rock or hard core.

Probably the opposite of Cheap Trick's "I Want You to Want Me" is G.G. Allin's "You Hate Me and I Hate You."



I love this song, because this is how all my high school pain started, really. I think it's where a lot of pain for a lot of people begins. I never heard these kinds of lyrics anywhere else.

You know, you know that you don't like me and I don't like you
You never listen to my point of view - I'm telling you
Why don't you all drop dead, you fucking fools - It's you who lose
You never wanted me so I say fuck you
You know, you know that you don't like me so I say fuck you

More on letting loose or now that we live in a mentally hygenic world,"acting out"


Telling Them by Social Distortion

Some of my favorite truth songs are simple. One was only 12 bars "I GOT THE JOB I GOT THE JOB I GOT THE JOB I GOT IT"

This is a little more traditional--


Iyiyiyi wanna fuck Annette! Wowowow!
Maybe the most basic truth of all...

No comments:

Post a Comment