Saturday, January 29, 2011

A Little Comics, a little politics, a little race.

So, other than drinking gin and drawing a comic book about band politics, what have I been doing?

Well, I have long loved Benny Goodman. Especially as a kid. I have to say I really disliked hard rock as a small child. It was just too raw, scary, sexual for me to deal with.
But I really dug this, and stuff like it.



Thing is, as an adult I felt funny about enjoying Benny Goodman, because that big band stuff is all...so...white. My friend Billy had me over and played some of Benny Goodman's sextet for me.  It turns out Goodman was one of the first white guys to work with black musicians (thank god), plus he could really swing. He did some of his best stuff with his sextet, as here:



If you ever wanna come over, I like my gin top shelf, with lime and seltzer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benny_Goodman.

No comments:

Post a Comment