Tuesday, June 22, 2010

LOST ON PUNK ISLAND: Like Snails, man. SNAILS!

Punk Island, a punk festival lasting 7 hours (10-5)on 18 stages was held on Governor's Island in New York City. You can only get there by ferry. The Punk Island 2010 web site said there would be tables selling water, concessions, which would go toward future Punk Island festivals. Assuming that people wanted to make money, I brought nothing with me, including a map of the 18 stages, or water. When the ferry dropped fellow tattooed ones and myself off at the island, there was...no one. And no signs to point us to anyone/anywhere, including anyone to give money to.

My boyfriend, the Grandaddy of punks, said, "Its run by punks. What did you expect? Organization? NO NO NO CHAOS!"

Well, I thought punks only pretended they didn't like money. I guess they really don't like it.

So the group of us followed the guy who had brought a map he had printed out from the internet. It wasn't long before we ran into a band that was completely lost, sitting hunched on the curb among their instruments and forlorn looks on their faces. I wish I had thought to take a picture. It was only 11:30am.

That was probably because I heard music coming from a yellow house across the field. I chose to follow my ears rather than some punk with a map. Because I wanted music, and I wanted it now, dammit!

There weren't too many people there. The audience was mostly musicians and members of the press.



Thank god from them, or The Snails would've been missed by everyone completely. They were a cheerful ska band, easy on the ears, melodic. They say they are influenced by Joe Strummer of The Clash.

Here is a sample:


The Snails are (l to r)Devon the Skanky D Grinder, Kyle (Crazy Hanz), Tim "Boss" Johnson on gee-tar and vocals, Kevin "secks" on drums, and Todd. They are all very indie-rock cute.

If you want to hear more, visit http://www.myspace.com/thesnailspa

Their next gig will be on Jun 26 2010, 6:00PM, at SkateIt Skatepark Manheim, PA.

I would go, if I lived near there.

NEXT: LOST ON PUNK ISLAND, AND SURROUNDED BY PIRATES!

No comments:

Post a Comment