Saturday, June 26, 2010

LOST ON PUNK ISLAND: Tits Found!

I did eventually leave The Cute Yellow Cottage of Insanity. I needed to eat, after all. The Arkhams guy, who clearly knew about food, pointed me in the right direction for a cheap philly cheezsteak.

While I was in line, I heard the traditional start of a hardcore show. "FUCK ALL YOU FUCKIN' FUCKS!" I was a little stunned, so I can't remember the following litany of trash talk. I remember it became quite creative. What stunned me weren't the words, but the voice. A woman's voice.

I have listened to hardcore punk since 1987, and I've never seen a woman fronting a hardcore band. The woman who had screamed was already gone by the time I was ready to watch her band. I did see her costume though. She and her band wore white and were covered in fake blood. Her show got moved to The Cute Yellow Cottage of Insanity. However, another act with a female singer took her place: The Straphangers. From Queens.




















They attracted a very excited male following, who put out a lot of energy for 12 noon.

I have to say they were a lot of fun, and don't have stupid Manhattan punk names. They have true Queens punk names Emily the singer, Mike the drummer, Nick the bassist, and Taras and Larry on guitar. Mike does grindcore backing vocals. Really awesome.
The band is super tight and energetic.






May I present The Straphangers (courtesy of pcimprezzive):


After the show I was hurrying to catch up to the next awesome chic act, and ran into Emily. We talked about her cute, married drummer. She said being in a band full of guys was ruining her "game."

As of 6/20, she was single. Isn't she cute? Her next gig on
Aug 7 at Don Pedros. For more info, visit
More was going on at The Cute Yellow House of Insanity.

Trauma Team 666 was there. That's right, the crew covered in blood from before.



They're called Trauma Team 666, because when the band first got together. Mary (the drummer) and Chastity (the singer) kept getting injured (not on purpose) and ending dealing with trauma teams at the hospital.


Here they are doing "Everybody Sucks But Me" at the Underscore in NYC.


Their next gig is at Otto's Shrunken Head 8/21.

No comments:

Post a Comment